Today is National Candy Cane Day. If you’ve got some leftovers and you want to celebrate, cook up this quick recipe from Complete Christmas Cooking. And while you’re at it, pick up a copy to see how to use your savory Christmas leftovers!
Hot Cocoa with Candied Marshmallows
This rich and delicious treat warms tummies on cold days. This recipe makes 4 large cups of cocoa.
· 12 Regular-sized Marshmallows
· 1 C crushed Hard Peppermint Candies
· Chocolate Syrup
· 32 oz Milk
· 7 oz can Sweetened Whipped Cream
· Use food mallet or rolling pin to crush candies on cutting board. Put crushed candy pieces into small cereal-sized bowl.
· Pour about 1/3 C of chocolate syrup into another small cereal-sized bowl. Add more if necessary.
· Roll 1 marshmallow at a time into chocolate syrup to coat it, and then through the crushed candies to coat. Put candy-coated marshmallows aside for 20 minutes to set.
· Heat milk in saucepan over low heat until hot, stirring to prevent boiling and curdling.
· As milk heats, stir in chocolate syrup until it has become as chocolaty as you like.
· Pour the milk into 4 large Cups.
· Spray whipped cream onto tops of hot cocoa.
· Place 3 candied marshmallows into each cup of cocoa and serve.
This recipe works with any hard candy you have on hand. Use it today for National Candy Cane Day and all winter long.