Sometimes less is more and simple can taste complex. Grilled cheese sandwiches make for a simple way to achieve complexity by combining mellow and sharp cheeses, a few interesting additives, and contrasting crunch with silky smoothness. They go well with hot tomato soup when it’s chilly out or a cool cucumber salad when the mercury rises. In other words, they’re quick and easy to prepare, they’re versatile, and you can customize them to fit your palette preferences.
The following recipe is my self-proclaimed “Greatest Ever Grilled Cheese.” And I follow it up with a few ways to make the best even better.
Since grilled cheese sandwiches can be greasy, this recipe minimizes the unhealthy grease without losing any flavor.
Greatest Ever Grilled Cheese Sandwich
· Olive Oil Cooking Spray
· 2 slices Rye Bread
· 2 slices Gruyère Cheese
· 1/4 C Shredded Cheddar Cheese
· 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
· Any Added Ingredients from sections below
· 1/2 T Butter
· Coat frying pan with cooking spray and place over medium-low heat.
· Spread one side of each piece of bread with a very thin layer of butter.
· Place 1 slice of Gruyère cheese on the unbuttered sides of bread slices.
· Spread 1/2 tsp mustard on each slice of cheese.
· Sprinkle cheddar cheese over one mustard-covered cheese slice.
· Add any of the optional ingredients listed below.
· Put sandwich halves together, cheese sides together and buttered sides of bread on the outside.
· Place sandwich into warm pan. Fry 3-4 minutes, until bottom pieces of bread toast.
· Flip and toast other side until browned. Cheese should be melted and gooey. Remove to serving plates.
5 Easy Additions to These Yummy Sandwiches:
Bring some bite to the sandwich by mixing 1/2 tsp of prepared horseradish into the mustard before spreading it.
Or add a little acid by chopping some pitted kalamata olives and sprinkling them over the cheddar cheese.
Or make it juicy by placing three 1/8” thick tomato slices on top of the mustard before sprinkling with cheddar cheese.
Or give it a middle eastern twist by adding some chopped artichoke hearts along with or instead of tomatoes.
Increase the depth of flavor with roasted red bell pepper pieces:
· Place a washed, whole pepper onto a cookie sheet and put it under the broiler.
· Let the skin blacken and turn the pepper every few minutes so the skin of the entire pepper turns black.
· Remove the pepper from the broiler, put it into a Ziploc bag, seal the bag, and set aside for 15 minutes.
· Remove the cooled and wilted pepper from the bag.
· The blackened skin should slough right off. Remove the skin and the stem, clean out the core, and quarter the remaining meat.
· Cover the mustard on one slice of bread with the pepper meat, and then sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top of it.
· Proceed with the remaining recipe directions.
Grab some gooey gusto with the Greatest Ever Grilled Cheese Sandwich and enjoy an easy way to savor delicious flavor.